View Single Post

Thread: Sauron vs Voldemort

1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Sauron vs Voldemort

I recently got into an argument today with a friend. He's a big fan of modern, pseudo-fantasy like Harry Potter, I prefer classic high fantasy like the Wheel of Time. Being the pair of geeks we were, we inevitably got into a massive debate over who was the superior evil overlord and tyrant, Sauron of Lord of the Rings fame or Voldemort from Harry Potter.

Now I think the answer should be obvious. Sauron (going by the books) is a demi-god, the utter incarnation of all mortal evils. In physical form he's a 7 foot tall monstrosity that can kill hundreds, thousands, without breaking a sweat. In spiritual form he can see everything in the entire world, probably able to find anyone anywhere. At his beck and call are millions, possibly billions, of ferocious orcs and beasts with penchants for dismemberment and no concept of personal safety. His 9 chief servants, the Nazgul, are impervious to all weapons, cause fear in all life with their very presence and are unparrelled warriors and sorcerors. The head of the Nazgul, the Witch-King, could be an evil overlord in his own right, but he's just one of Sauron's many servants. Hell, Sauron even routinely practices genetic engineering by crossbreeding different types of orcs and trolls to create larger, faster, stronger, smarter monstrosities.

Voldemort, on the other hand, is just a man. A paticularly stubborn man that refuses to die. He's nothing but a racist with a wand and fairly formidable magic skills. The closest equivalent I can think of would be a racist with a gun and markmanship skills gunning down blacks/asians/indians/whites/whatever. His servants are nothing but a handful of other racist wizards with some serious superiority complexes. He also has soul-sucking Dementors, I think Giants but I can't quite remember clearly, and Werewolves.

So, we debated this for some time without reaching any consensus. My friend seemed to think a single "Avada Kedavra" could kill Sauron, I pointed out that Sauron was a God. He said that individually, a wizard is absolutely superior to an orc, I pointed out that Sauron has millions of orcs whilst Voldemort only has a few dozen wizards. We reached no agreement other than to disagree. But what do you guys here at Giant at the Playground think? Who would win in an all-out war, each Dark Lord having the maximum amount of possible resources. To do this, let us say that Mordor materialized in our world, orcs and all, somewhere in Europe near to Britain. So, Sauron or Voldemort?

PS: I have to say, in terms of his name, Sauron is so much cooler than 'Voldemort'
    Last edited by Executor; 2007-09-30 at 10:57 PM.