View Single Post

Thread: Sauron vs Voldemort

1. - Top - End - #24
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Sauron vs Voldemort

Quote Originally Posted by Justin_Bacon View Post
    I'm trying to figure out what you could possibly mean by the words "pseudo" and "classic" here, but my dictionary has spontaneously combusted under the strain.
    My thoughts as well. Seems to be a bit of a bias there.

This seems like a poor assumption. Voldemort, fascinated with all lore likely to give him an increased lifespan, would clearly be interested in ringlore if he exited in Sauron's fictional milieu.
    Not necessarily. Voldemort had a nasty habit of dismissing anything he thought had the slightest drawback. Part of his superiority complex. If he found one thing that seemed to imply his horcrux solution was better than the rings used by Sauron, Voldemort would probably stop his studies right there.

Quote Originally Posted by Leper_Kahn View Post
    There's also the fact that Voldemort loses his wand and he's screwed...
    Not totally screwed. Voldemort was very much hinted at being extremely strong in wandless magic. Which is saying something in the Harry Potter world.

Then again Voldemort has several soul things, but they don't corrupt and have a mind of their own like the ring does.
    Uh, re-read Chamber of Secrets please. I do believe "a mind of its own" is exactly how Dumbledore described the diary in Half-Blood Prince, as well.

And, if you haven't yet, read Deathly Hallows:
    Spoiler
    Show
    That locket certainly had a corrupting influence.

In many cases, the influences of the Horcruxes were worse than the One Ring. They certainly developed their most dramatic effects far more rapidly.

[hr]n any case: yeah, there are two very different contexts here. This is a pretty silly concept. It is indeed that cat vs. praying mantis scenario described above.
    Last edited by Shhalahr Windrider; 2007-10-01 at 09:44 AM.
    The Future just ain’t what it used to be.