View Single Post

Thread: Sauron vs Voldemort

1. - Top - End - #885
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Sauron vs Voldemort

Quote Originally Posted by Ditto View Post

This has been steadily peeling the arguments away from 'Sauron obviously wins', then to 'Sauron wins', then to 'Sauron wins because his army is huge', to to to... and at this point, we're talking about 'Sauron wins because he, Sauron himself, can do XYZ'. Something is definitely moving in the debate...
    nah...it merely means that you were not satisfied with "Sauron obviously wins" and thus we proceded with explaining the obvious...in progressive greater detail because you are afflicted by a bad case of the nitpicking flue..
    to me it is still obvious that Sauron wins, because I find precious few of your arguments to the contrary to be conclusive.
    anyway, I do not accept the definition of the "scope" and influence of willpower in HP terms as you put it because if reduced thusly it amounts to almost nothing, because it can only divert a small number of spells, while in LOTR it can do so much more and is the ultimate definition of the power of a character.
    basically Sauron is immortal, can not be killed, has ultimate mastery over magic and a series of liutenants that share by lore and demonstrated power a big part of his status. he can, comparatively be classified as a god.

you would like to strip him of his magical ability, of his immortality, of the independence from a physical body(and consequent independence from the concept of mortality), of his god-like status, of his numbing-mindcrushing presence and superiority...
    to drag him in a set of rules that negate all he is and could do by saying "here it doesn't apply" when in LOTR it does..in order to have him attacked through magic that could never harm him in LOTR
    I can live with that...but what do you offer in exchange? will Voldy put down his wand and go without? will his spells have a reduced capacity? I don't see what else he could offer to even the concessions that are being made on the other side of the battlefield; but no, you would have him fight at his full capacity, not hampered in any way... seems hardly a fair approach to a "full scale-full powers confrontation" does it not?

either we solve the incompatibility of the two settings finding a compromise, or this topic will never end because Sauron in HP dress does suffer incredibly high and unfair detractions from his personal power alone, and Voldy is simply a non-existing threath to Sauron if we let at least part of LOTR system and texture set the rules.
    Last edited by dehro; 2007-11-08 at 08:34 PM.
    All hail Smutmulch for crafting my avatar!
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    Cursed zombies are more realistic.
    Spoiler: siggatar and previous avatars.
    Show

the Badass Monkby Avi. Aktarus by Chd. Dehro by Wojiz