I definitely agree that Tolkien wrote better literature, even if it *was* just an excuse to build a setting in which to play as a linguist. Not that I think HP doesn't qualify as literature, of course; I also wouldn't go so far as to say she wrote something fun and took it from there after the boom. She definitely had a full story to tell, and it's certainly captured the imaginations of enough people around the world to be regarded with some import.

I think that's a pretty fair representation of a fight, WG. Several quibbles, though:
-Charging makes you an *easier* target.
-Flying gives you an advantage when shooting (does "higher ground" mean nothing, hm?). Also, if you insist on trying to dispel his flight (and we can't say it's hard to do just because it's unheard of - it's a custom spell, that's all) he can just use a broom.
-We've seen Sauron doing the man-to-man counterspell - when's he dispel some standing effects?
-V would not want to be flying directly above Sauron. It presents the smallest profile, and then there's the generally bad idea of hovering above someone trying to kill you.
-Apparating around an area doesn't take any remarkable amount of concentration, since V & D were popping around the grand foyer left and right. They were being surprised by what the other guy threw, so I think it's fair to say that's a good representation of 'apparating under battle conditions'.
-That's also no slight on his reflexes, since he's a pretty spry corpse and wizards are hardier longer anyway when compared to humans. Dumbledore, at over age 150, only felt age was just catching up to him and slowing his response times.

You also failed to identify what was going on with every 'V casts his next spell' you threw in there. That's important! Some suggestions for what might happen. These are only named spells; we can get more creative, but this will suffice for the moment.
-Avada Kedavra. C'mon, doooo it!
-Expelliarmus.
-Defodio. Whoops, pothole!
-Shooting arrows out of his wand. I missed this spell the first time I combed the spell archives, but I thought I'd throw it in there for those folks who said V didn't know what armor or crossbows were.
-Banishing charm. (Anti-accio.)
-Impedimenta. (Similar obstructing effect.)
-Incarcerous. I'm sure Sauron could bust those ropes open, but for a second he's still wrapped tighly in thick ropes.
-...could we please grant the Jelly-Legs Jinx? Pleaase? You know it would be hilarious to see the Dark Lord of Mordor flopping around on the ground.
-Ditto Rictusempra and Tarantallegra. (Happy-laughing and crazy dancing are the best ways to incapacitate and evil overlord, evar.)
-Avis/Oppugno. Canaries attack Sauron, Hilarity Ensues.