View Single Post

Thread: Sauron vs Voldemort

1. - Top - End - #999
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Sauron vs Voldemort

Greatest heros of their time in Middle Earth = second greatest wizard of his time in HP...hmm, something seems amiss here.
    Relative greatness inside one's own circle does not mean anything about relative greatness when compared to someone outside that circle. What you said is akin to saying that the most powerful slug is an equal combatant to the most powerful human. I didn't use those examples to specifically represent anyone, just to point out that being the most powerful (or second most in Voldy's case) in a specific group (or universe) does not mean you are on par with the post powerful being from another specific group.

Heck, even if it did there were more than one of them weren't there? (Hint: your point is moot)

Executor already explained some of the LOTR magic system to you, but I'll also say this: Sauron needs to be within a certain range and no, things are not permanent, when the will that is bending the rules is removed the rules snap back into shape.

Universe creating power and rules bending/changing power are very different thing. For instance saying "this rule no longer applies" is much simpler than writing up every single rule that forms the universe. Sauron, however, got to see the list of rules being written up (keep in mind this is all figurative) and he does have the power to bend or break those rules better than anyone else barring only the gods and even they (barring Eru) seem to only be marginally above him as he has successfully blocked their power before.

What does remainng at large for 30 years have to do with anything? I thought each combatant only had to be reduced in power to the point of ineffectiveness in combat once for the purposes of this thread (a big gimp to Sauron, but whatever).

Wait a minute on the "can't be AMF'd" thing. Are you saying there's no way to block HP spell? If you are then you are wrong and there is a lot of evidence against you. In fact there is even evidence that shows that HP spells can be stopped before they are cast or prevented all together (somehow this isn't enough for you...).

We may very well have different definitions of magic (I choose to seek an explanation while you seem to think that it needs no explanation for it is all powerful... except when that's inconvenient), but that is immaterial.

I'm really not too sure what exactly your counter to my point is; as far I can tell it's "nu-uh that aint fair" which doesn't really hold any clout in a real debate.

I guess you're saying that HP spells do not exist on the physical realm at all and therefore cannot be affected by anything. It's too bad that they can be deflected by physical objects quite easily.
    Perhaps you're saying that they cannot be magically stopped, blocked, or hindered in any way. It's too bad there's a spell that blocks spells. It's also too bad that there's and anti-apparating field around Hogwarts. heck, it even too bad that Snape stopped Harry's casting before it was finished.

I'd love to counter you point, I really would, but it seems to me that you don't have one.

Here's mine: Sauron inhibits Voldemort's ability to cast. Whether this means bending the rules of the universe to disallow HP magic, physically and/or magically blocking the spells, being immune to the spells, creating conditions under which Voldemort cannot cast through physical or mental anguish, or simply telling him no and pimp slapping him across the face I don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
    Sort of a more personal Cthulhu...
    Today at work I had the song Personal Jesus by Johnny Cash stuck in my head (a strange occurrence in and of itself considering how long it's been since I'd head that song) and then I started thinking of this thread (specifically hat phrase) and by the end of the day I was singing to myself:
    Your own persona Cthulhu,
    Someone to drive you insane
    And flay your brain
    Last edited by Rowanomicon; 2007-11-21 at 05:15 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by EvilElitest View Post
    You are a god
    Many thanks to Bisected8 for the Jokertar.