Quote Originally Posted by warty goblin View Post
I read Eragon, but never went on to Eldest for the simple reason that the narrative bored me silly and I couldn't care about any of the characters. That and the use of the dragon, honestly if you've got the only dragon around (which seems to be the case for Eragon at least), recon is the least of the uses it can be put to. How about, I don't know, killing enemy stuff, or hunting or something, but a remote survay drone is not a particularly interesting use of a dragon.

On the whole compared to Dragonlance thing: I like Dragonlance. The characters are fairly archtypical, but play with the archtypes a little bit, which is fun. The world makes a degree of sense and doens't feel like it just exists for the heroes to ride around in, which Eragon really feels like to me. The touch of moral ambigouity is also fun, its enough to make me think a bit, but its not all ZOMG Look how mature and dark the story is!!11!! That and the characters in Dragonlance actually do make mistakes and those mistakes have consequenses, yet I can still sympathize with the character. And as said, its happy to remain pulp fantasy first and foremost and never pretends otherwise.
You should check out the links i put up, it puts a lot into perspectives
from,
EE