Quote Originally Posted by Quincunx View Post
A boiled sweet is what Americans call a hard candy, generally. I've yet to try a soft boiled sweet (the local confectionery* only makes hard versions of 'boiled sweets'), but I think that would fall into the taffy category. Black-and-white-striped mint candies are "bulls-eyes" here.

Swedish teacake = flat bready disk, no known English equivalent.
British teacake = marshmallow on wafer base, covered in chocolate = Irish mallow cup (also made by said confectionery, and those are 1000x better fresh and warm from the shop window) = American uncooked s'more.
In England we have several different tea cakes. There are those tea cakes that you mentioned. But in general only one company does teacakes like that. They're called tunnok's teacakes. For me a teacake is a round thing of bread. Similar to what a burger goes in. Those teacakes have many names though. From Stottie Cakes in Newcastle, Baps/buns/teacakes round here. A whole host of things.

Humbugs aren't really soft. They are hard usually. Some are hard on the outside while slightly chewy inside. Humbugs are sort of oval and round, while bull's eyes are spherical and red and white striped.

I've never had taffy. I gather it's a seaside type food. Our version is called rock. Which is just sugar made into a long line.
A taste of life over here in Blighty. Well, a taste involving sweets and bread.