This is a very cool thread. My compliments to everybody involved. Things heated up for a while, but now everyting is all nice and civilized again. I hope the mod's won't shut this down for touching on real world religion and sexuality.

But back on the topic. Fundamentalist ultimately means the same in religion and in philosophy. A fundamentalist takes some things as fundamental truths. Some things are seen as self-evidently true, and they are used as the building blocks of a worldview.

A fundamentalist christian conciders the existance of God (and Jesus) as fundaments (and some other christian beliefs as well usually) and his/her worldview springs from these things. This makes rational discussion with an atheist or an agnostic very difficult for these people (just an observation).

As for gay superheroes (male ones) one of the most cool and powerful supers in Stormwatch / Authority is Apollo, and he has a serious relationship with another male superhero in the same team. That doesn't feel PC at all, and it's not used as a "OMFG! Those guys are GAY!!" gimmick, but rather as a normal part of life for those characters and their team-mates. If anything some of their team-mates are jealous of them managing to find and maintain a steady and working relationship.

edit: I didn't know Ben Grim is jewish either. Stoopid timid Marvel keeping secrets about my favorite superhero!