View Single Post

Thread: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

1. - Top - End - #378
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Shipwrecked! IC Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TwoCents View Post
    Roostin
    <snip>
    "Yes, Ovias, Ah'm looking at you. You keep telling me you know whut you're doing and Ah should just trust you and do whut you tell me, and when Ah ask, 'whut is it you want me to do' you answer 'Ah already told you and Ah ain't going to tell you again!' Well, maybe you did, but if you did Ah don't remember whut you said, so if'n you would just kindly tell me whut it is you want to build and where it is you want to build and how long you think it's going to take, Ah would thank you kindly."
    "You arre looking at me, you say? I cannot imagine why would that be. I have always been clearr about my prriorrities: to keep everryone in this grroup alive. Forr that, we need shelterr. I cannot build boats, I can harrdly fish, but I can build, so I will build whateverr I can to help out with this situation. Yes, obviously Erric and I found two nearrby sites, his perrfect forr farrming, mine good enough forr contrruction. Once finished the clearring of trrees, I will starrt on the rrefuge. It will be a small palisade, prrobably with sails strretched overr it. Howeverr, constrruction will be slow: on averrage, a trrainee can build 10 feet a week, and I prrobably will go no fasterr than 15."

"My idea is to build four 20 feet long walls in the clearring. This gives an innerr surrface of 400 squarre feet. It will harrdly be huge, but enough for the 20-something people in the grroup to sleep inside or take rrefuge in case of an attack. It will also be a starrting point, which we can add to if we have the time and the rresources. I will build a mixed wood/stone palisade, so as to not use all the wood we have, and to make it strronger."

"One <caveat>, howeverr: I will not have in the site people unwilling to take orrderrs. Constrruction is a trricky thing, and those unwilling to listen I will not have. We have worrked togetherr, and I know it is not yourr case, Rroostin, but it is so with otherrs herre. Those people I want out of the way."

"Finally, since we arre being so open with each otherr, I must say I find yourr own ship prroject verry dangerrous. You have neitherr tarr norr wax to prrotect the wood frrom the waterr, and you arre using grreen wood, rrecently cut, to build. Any boat built frrom such will quickly leak and sink: you need to drry the lumberr firrst. We also have a pitiful small amount of irron nails, without which your ship will not stay togetherr in strrong weatherr orr currents. And even if all those things werre solved, we have neitherr charrts norr enough sailorrs to get all of us out of herre: if you finish a boat, load it with food and waterr and leave, who will rremain to take the rrest of us out of herre?"
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2008-03-10 at 06:58 AM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est