As the mayor starts explaining the situation Sallstaff is in Smelkie gets that feeling again he also had when he and Stockard entered the town. His feelings about this place just got confirmed.

I knew it, something is really wrong here. People venturing in the woods and not returning, thats not good. It makes Smelkie somewhat curious and he starts imagining what it can be that haunts the woods. Mhmm could it be a group of bandits or perhaps an evil monster or ...

Then the mayor mentiones a financial reward and Smelkie gets back to the conversation.

So, if we agree we all get 60 gold each and he will announce our reason for presence to the townsfolk. That'll make it some easier to get the trust of some people at least. Getting information and evidence is even enough to get that gold!
But 60 goldcoins each makes alot, especially if we can even form a bigger party than three. There must be much more in the Town Hall.... shall i try and find a way in tonight, or is it better to wait and find out whats in the woods first.

Im up for the adventure thats for sure. Stockard wants to find the priest aparantly, so he will join too. I hope that Tori will tag along as well, despite his smell.... hes one tough bastard.

"So if i get this correct the people that went missing all went into the woods somewhere between dusk and dawn. What about those that were attacked, did they see what had attacked them. Did they have any scratches on them that may lead to what was the culprit?

Perhaps we can have a chat with one of them before we accept your offer to get more information on what we might face."