Hist

Of course not. But if we did break out... well, people might not be so happy to see us again, and would probably hand us back to the guards. Unless you feel like a lot of sprinting, or killing the bodies of innocents, it might not be best to tip our hand just yet.

He smiled, before continuing

Anyway, thanks to the ritual, you are apparently linked to Ricco somehow. I'm not entirely sure how that worked, but... well, the process would probably involve the transfer of the curse energy that sustains the spirits. That would explain why Grazys can't sense it in those spirits that are tied to a host.

He ploughed swiftly on, before Reid could say anything

The spirits are tied to the town, right? By the curse. If they can be tied to a host as well, moving the host away from the town might break the link of the curse that holds it, and them here. Spirits go on to a better place, I drain the curse energy, then get rid of it, and settlers have their body back. Everybody wins.

It's the best way I can think of. There are one or two other ways we might go about breaking it, but none much more promising. If the curse is weaker, I might be able to draw it out directly from the mortal hosts, but... well, I really don't know what effect that would have on the attendant spirit. Could be fine. Could destroy it's soul, leaving it without a chance at afterlife. Just don't know.