View Single Post

Thread: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

1. - Top - End - #973
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: DeepBlue's Vagabond - Act 1

"This is going to be a flail" Len smiles, busily interspersing leather wraps and pitch in layers. Its messy work, with the pitch oozing up between the straps and the sterile reek of rubbing alcohol* burning her nostrils.

The truth is, this is one of those times when an extra pair of hands is more likely to get accidentally cut than anything, but just to be nice, she hands Shimar a carving wedge and piece of ivory, asking him to make something all cool and tribal-looking for a decorative cap over the pommel. Incorporating the ivory is just another of the traditions that she has for all her custom weapons, much like naming them**.

"I'll have to wait a couple days for the pitch to cure all the way, and then I'll take this," she holds up half a meter of unwrapped leather draped safely over her thigh as she explains. " ...soak it in water, and then finish wrapping. Once it dries, it'll be the tightest fit you can imagine, and it'll protect the glued layers below it so that I'm not getting sticky and gross in battle should they melt."

She's essentially finished with everything she can do before then, and so she holds the drying handle in her lap, watching Shimar carve.

"Maybe I'll make something for you one of these days. Are you a zweihander kind of guy, or maybe a bowhunter?"

Spoiler
    Show
    solvent for the tree sap, in case you care. Good way to clean it off your hands and its the only way to fly if you want to use sap as a glue like this; it just flows wherever you pour it and then the alcohol evaporates away, leaving pitch exactly how you want it.

**Burai-no kodo roughly translating to "Heavy Hand" or "Overkill" in this case. Don't ask in which language this is so, it just does.
    Last edited by Ya Ta Hey!; 2008-04-15 at 02:29 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnar0k
    Probability has betrayed me, I thought we had a thing.

President, Founder, and Chairman of the Ya-Ta-Hey! Self-Promotion Club