XXIII All is not lost

“My Liza and I were headed out to New Merylsward to answer the call for farmers. This Baron fellow…Ir’Kusk I think his name was, is offering to match any crop profits made within his lands by harvest time this year. As soon as we caught wind we sold our home and everything we had to head out here and get plowing. Our wagon was full of seed and supplies to start farming. We’d brought these two along and promised to split the bonus with them if they helped kick off our farm. Now that our wagon’s busted and most of the supplies are dashed, we’ll be lucky if we grow so much as a single bean by harvest time. Liza and I were planning on at least getting a half-decent crop up. We...(starting to lose control)…we couldn’t afford all the supplies up front. If we don’t pay…” The man loses his grip and begins to sob softly, cupping his face with his hands.

The Cleric moves to help the woman and begins to cast his healing magics upon her. As he works he asks his son about what damage was done to her and where he applied his healing pendant. As the father works, he seems to be instructing his son about where best to place his spells and how to properly deal with the woman’s injuries. It seems that this particular clergyman is knowledgeable in both the magical and mundane forms of healing.

Ajaba and Aesop begin shifting through the wagon and find that the man’s story checks out. Several crates of grain have been broken open, though two remain in tact. A plow head and several farming tools seem to have survived the impact. While the wagon is shot, only one of the wheels was destroyed. As they begin setting aside intact cargo Wrex walks over and silently picks up one of the grain crates. He carries it over to the group’s wagon and places it in the back. Bin slinks over to the dead man and rifles through his pockets.

Barley walks over and pats the man on the back. “There there lad, all’s not lost. You’re still breathing and so is your Mrs. We’re headed to Merylsward ourselves and can give you and the rest of your goods a lift. You can pay us back once you get those crops up.” One of Barley’s cousins starts to protest but a quick glance from the wagon master shuts him up.