View Single Post

Thread: Ok, so what's so bad about.....

1. - Top - End - #8
    Magnificent Boop in the Playground

Default Re: Ok, so what's so bad about.....

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    He encourages Wanda to pursue her hobby of recreational torture.
    Of course, that's a rather weak reason to condemn Stanley in the context of denying that Wanda would freely follow such a "monster" -- as you point out, Wanda actually doing it it more culpable than Stanley accepting and encouraging it.

We know why Ansom condemns Stanley -- his rise to power is a basic affront to Ansom's worldview (and, I suspect, Ansom wants to defeat Stanley to prove, not least of all to himself, that Stanley's attunement to the Arkenhammer and Ansom's own non-attunement to the Arkenpliers is not a sign that Stanley is favored over him in the eyes of the Titans). Various other members of the Coalition have been attacked by Stanley; however, there's no indication that they regard him as a figure of monstrous evil -- he's the enemy and they want to beat him, sure, but that's not the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Corwin Weber View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Scylfing View Post
    I think you'd call someone a monster too if he attacked and wiped out your kingdom and people, presumably without provocation (that we've seen anyway). Even for someone like Jillian who resented her father and her people's way of life, she still had the life she wanted and it was taken from her (apparently) unjustly.
    Of course you would. So would I. The problem is that this sort of attack seems to be pretty normal for how Erf works. The world is based on a wargame. Attacking other sides and conquering them is normal for them. Look at Parson's description of their histories. You'd think that from Jillian's perspective this would just be the fortunes of war.
    Jillian's reasons for hating Stanley as much as she does may be more complex than the obvious (he destroyed her home kingdom).

Looking back at how Jillian describes her actions after the fall of Faq ("...I ran into enough sides that were mad at him to suspect Stanley the Worm. Then I got wind of Jetstone's coalition. Seemed like a good gig, with the fringe benefit of maybe getting my Faq question answered."), it does sound like "just business" -- Stanley attacked her side, and has retribution coming to him, yes, but it's a bit understated compared to calling him a "monster".

It could be that while Jillian was and is angry that Wanda "went too far", she doesn't entirely accept that Wanda is fully responsible for doing so. Thus, she assumes that Wanda is under magical compulsion from Stanley (making him the "monster" who cased the break between them), and disbelieved Jaclyn telling her that, no, she isn't.
    Last edited by SteveMB; 2008-05-03 at 09:11 PM.