I am a rabid Middle Earth fan, but I have to give the campaign (option 2) to Lord Soth.

Reason: Although Mordor vastly outnumbers Kitiara's army. Kitiara's army includes *multiple* flights of dragons.

In Middle Earth, a dragon is the ultimate "I win" button. Smaug laid waste Dale, it's kings and men, and reduced Erebor, one of the great fortresses (IMO) of MIddle Earth (so strong that 13 dwarves could hold off 2 armies inside it's gates) -- all by himself, in a *day*.

One dragon, by itself, is a war-winner. See: The Battle of Sudden Flame, Silmarrillion. And Kitiara has *several* flights.

Not to mention a mess of draconians, and not just the cannon-fodder Baaz. Bozaks. Auraks. Sivaks. Any one of which make Gandalf look like a grade-schooler, and some of which explode when killed.Naaasty.

Dragonlance is simply a much higher-magic environment than ME is. Putting this on a technology scale, it's the equivalent of pitting the entire Mongol horde (mordor's troops) against 1 modern armored division (say, Hermann Goering Division, WWII). In a standup engagement, the primitives will be slaughtered. Greater numbers only mean greater slaughter.

As towards the 1v1 -- Lord Soth can cast fireball, and Ringwraiths appear to be vulnerable to fire. That, IMO, is an instant "I win".

How could the witch king win? Well, he's a sorcerer and commands the spirits of the dead. Perhaps he could compel Soth to his will, or turn him.

The problem is that dragonlance is a far higher magic environment than middle earth is, so unless we do something to level the playing field, dragon lance will always win.

The only way I could see a win is if we set Margaret Weis, Tracy Hickman, and JRR Tolkien down to a short story contest, let them each write the story, and had a panel of critics judge the result. Then, Middle Earth just might win. But even then, it's likely they'd disqualify JRR at the outset because he'd probably exceed the word limit by an order of magnitude.

Respectfully,

Brian P.