1. - Top - End - #1634
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: Beating Batman: Sir Giacomo's Guide to Monks

I didn't want to go into this subject in the grapple thread, but I have no qualms with settling this matter here,

Well let's disassemble your FAQ then

Quote Originally Posted by Sir Giacomo View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Throughout this thread, you'll find a lot of denial, sometimes based on different playing experience, but sometimes also on rules misperceptions. This lists tries to clarify the latter. I already once did a summary after 32 pages.
    Basically, many posters started their criticism based on assumptions that by now I proved to be false. And still they never change their views, which is in part responsible for the length of this thread.

NOTE: For general monk and core game misperceptions and fallacies (imo) check below the chapter II.2. "Monk Myths"

1. Can the monk flurry his grappling checks?
    Yes. More grappling attempts are based on base attack bonus, and the monk's flurry results in a modified base attack bonus (see the monk class description). Check also the 3.5 FAQ p. 20 which clearly outlines grappling as a possibility in a flurry to do in place of an attack.
    And for those remaining doubters, Lord Silvanos is quoting the Rules Compendium to support the notion that you can flurry in a grapple.
    As elegantly displayed by a previous poster modBaB=!BaB so if a piece of text states you only get extra attacks from BaB than modBaB has no effect.
    FAQ's are nice, but contain errors, most importantly, they are not a part of RAW, I've said before I think allowing FoB in a grapple is a good house rule, but we are arguing RAW here so you're out of luck.

Now for the quote from Lord Silvanos:
    Quote Originally Posted by RC - page 60
    A creature that has a high enough base attack bonus can use a fullround action to make a grapple check for every extra attack its base attack bonus would allow it if it were a character. That means such a creature can make two grapple checks if its base attack bonus is +6 to +10, three if +11 to +15, and four if +16 or higher.
    This mentions the exact opposite of what you claim, it specificly mentions that only higher BaB can give extra attacks, which is supported by the SRD:
    Quote Originally Posted by SRD
    Some of these actions take the place of an attack (rather than being a standard action or a move action). If your base attack bonus allows you multiple attacks, you can attempt one of these actions in place of each of your attacks, but at successively lower base attack bonuses.
    On top of that Lord Silvanos actually said:
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Silvanos View Post
    So under a very literal interpretation of RAW the answers to the following questions would be:
    Q: Can FoB grant an extra grapple action?
    A: No.

I think ideally the RAW should have made greater allowance for other actions in a grapple and I think ideally the answer would have been:
    Q: Can FoB grant an extra grapple action?
    A: Yes.
    In other word, by RAW no FoB in grapple, at the table: allow FoB in grapple.
    Good job on mispresenting his words though.
    Last edited by Fenix_of_Doom; 2008-07-10 at 04:07 PM.
    Schrödinger cat? Schrödinger wizard? Schrödinger monk?
    What's next? Schrödinger equation? HΨ=EΨ? Seriously WTF?

The best summary of this board I've seen so far:
    Quote Originally Posted by Frigs View Post
    Giantitp: The only place you can turn a discussion on D&D Economics into an argument about toxic potatoes.