View Single Post

Thread: Dota anyone?

1. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Dota anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Cynan Machae View Post
    Yea I dislike -em also. It's sad that most player start to play DotA with -em. I guess it's ok when you've been playing regular DotA for a while and you decide you wanna play -em, but starting as -em isnt a good way to learn, IMO.

Yea I've played Magnus with BF before, but I didnt like the fac that he was doing more cleaved damage than target damage >< But with his ult, it's pretty good.

...pro sniper?
    Well, the sniper assured me it was. I just laughed and continued to kill him.

And I agree, EM is a terrible way to learn. It doesn't reinforce many of the important skills that are used in dota. Last hitting/denying stops being important.

Thing with Magnus is, when I get the ult off, the rest of my team in a team battle is usually there to follow up. That or at least one or two. With empower up and some other damage item besides BF (Armlet, great to turn that on just before you ult, so you can survive whatever after, and does great damage), you're already doing enough cleave damage.

Also, wave early game is great. Magnus is one of the few melee heroes I love to solo a lane with. As around level's 5-7, two well placed waves can nearly kill most low health heroes.

If you have decent teammates Mortred only needs 4 items to pwn:
    Treads, Helm of Dom(or Satanic if you can farm it), Bfury, MKB.
    See, the key to "decent" teammates is that they handle their lanes and play it carefully. I can assure you if there is a mortred out there, there should at least be several people hunting her down. She's also still one of the poorer choices for carries these days. Great for EM games I hear though.

Just that, as far as carry heroes go, Voidwalker and Troll outperform her, though her crit is king. Void has a passive evasion that isn't just dodge, and a natural bash. Along with a more useful ult in terms of team battles and an escape/engage mechanism.

Troll can permi-bash, has an easier time last hitting early on, and can run away pretty fast with his ult.

That's not to discount mortred. If a mortred player knows when creep waves come and keeps an eye on that, using blink strike, be it enemies or friends, is a clever way to escape. Then again, I love doing the same as Chaos Knight, who is somewhat similar to mortred, but even better with a stun. Ganker/carry rather then just straight carry.

For weaver, I haven't played him much, but I've done hilarious things with his scouts and shadow priest. Shadow priest's heal does damage to where the heals bounce in an AoE. So, a friend and I stacked a whole bunch of scouts on an enemy in a lane, and just walked in, healed them, and the enemy exploded. A viable strategy though? Not so much, but hilarious. If weaver is with shadow priest, him going his stealth + damage is better as shadow priest goes slow. That's much more dangerous in a lane.

As for orb effects, I've lately been seeing a lot of weavers build skadi's rather then life steal. It does give a good amount of health to live.
    Last edited by Poison_Fish; 2008-08-26 at 11:23 PM.