Quote Originally Posted by SteveMB View Post
Even without the Foolamancer, the place is relatively isolated. Given that it's hard to get to, and that as far as anybody knows there's no real reason to go there. it could remain unvisited for some time -- especially when everybody in the region has more pressing business (the war against Stanley) to attend to.
If I were an Erfian, I would be on the lookout for a placve as defendable as Faq. If I found one that was unoccupied, I would build a city there as a fall back if my other cities were destroyed. The possibility of mining resources (seems to be a common theme in Erf mountain cities) makes it even more attractive. That's actually a tactic I used back in the original Warcraft and 2. I would set my peasants to making a clearing in a forest, and build my city in there. I would have several powerful land units guard the only land entrance, and set about creating a strong aerial strike force.

Kind of like what Charley, Stanley, and Banhammer all have/had.

What happens if someone sends some settlers into a hex that has a veiled city?

Quote Originally Posted by ChowGuy View Post
I can well imagine that, even it it were not contrary to her inclinations, any Predictamancer in that situation (Banhammer treated his casters like crap) would have been discontent. he lot of prophets and oracles has traditionally not been a happy one. The prophet who receives no honor in there own land is a common theme, and that's not the half of it. There's the whole "Kill the Messenger" idea, and/or the "I Disbelieve" one. I'm sure someone can post a trope page, but just consider Cassandra as an example.
BanHammer treated his warlords like crap. The implication being that he preferred the casters.

Quote Originally Posted by ChowGuy View Post
Nevertheless, this does not imply that the fall of FAQ was, in way way, a result of betrayal. The ability to predict a future event does not, in general, convey the ability to prevent it. Even if the Predicamancer was able to foresee an overflight of Dwagons piercing the veil and destroying FAQ, it does not follow that they could have done anything to substantially alter that outcome. Indeed, that inablity to alter a predicted outcome is the entire basis of many tales, eg the king/god who attempts to prevent his overthrow by killing/banishing the predicted usurper, only to have that very act set in motion his eventual doom.
Aye, but why then was Jillian taken by surprise? We know that she knew about the prediction of Banhammer's demise, we learn it from her mouth. If the predictamancer didn't betray Banhammer, there would be no reason for Jillian to not know. Banhammer could have built up a larger army(or more casters) to defend the chokepoint and tunnels. No, whether or nor Wanda is the predictamancer, I think the predictamancer had to have betrayed Banhammer.