View Single Post

Thread: Erfworld 119, page 107

1. - Top - End - #194
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Erfworld 119, page 107

Quote Originally Posted by fendrin View Post
    Well, yes. The point I was trying to make is that Banhammer, as an isolationist, would have no reason to pop a croakamancer.

Consider this: there are two types of 'philosophers'.
    • Those who like to have their ideas challenged so that they can refine their philosophy
    • Those who like to be perceived as wise without putting the hard effort in.

Isolationist philosophers historically are (as far as I am aware) exclusively of the latter type.
    I can accept that as a postulate, and Banhammer certainly shows many personality traits that would indicate that he belongs to the latter category.

Of those three, I find both variations of the last one to be unnecessarily complex. Thus Occam's Razor compels us to discard them.
    Hmm. I cannot say I agree with that. Occam's Razor is not an absolute but is meant to be a guideline; at its strongest, it warns us against chasing after unnecessarily complex possibilities when there is no evidence available for them. That being said, for the moment all we have to indicate that Wanda may not be from Faq is speculation and lack of evidence to the contrary, so I do agree that this particular notion should remain a mere hypothesis for now.

Similarly, the idea that Banhammer simply chose not to control Wanda's specialty seems arbitrary and out of place for one who (presumably) took such pains to create a bubble kingdom.

That leaves the options of caster specialization being as uncontrollable as personality, or Wanda having been popped as something other than a croakamancer.
    I am personally open to both of these with no reservations at all. *nods*

Edited: For clarity.
    Last edited by The Old Hack; 2008-09-03 at 10:12 AM.
    My Avatar is Vinnie Doombats from the Erfworld comic written by Rob Balder and illustrated by Jamie Noguchi.