Quote Originally Posted by TamLin View Post
Mr. Baldwin and Mr. Noguchi have made Erfworld much too grim and disturbing to be a comedy (this is a matter of opinion, of course, as is everything, but even so, I contend that most readers look at something like what Wanda did to Jillian and have to consider this material more than a little ****ed up). On the other hand, I don't think that comic takes itself seriously enough to be a tragedy. That basically just leaves farce or satire, but as I've already said, it's not clear what's being satired here, unless it's we the audiece.

The comic, I feel, has something of an identity crisis going on. It's tough to figure out in what way we're supposed to be enjoying this material. The tone swings back and forth seemingly without rhyme or reason, and it feels like there's a lot of bait and switch going on. It's like eating a big cheeseburger but every third bite tastes like an apple; eventually, never knowing what to expect is going to ruin the potential enjoyment of both elements.
So... how do you feel about OotS? It has been deeply tragic and ridiculously lighthearted in fairly close proximity to each other. Do you find a deeper logic in OotS than you do in Erfworld, or would you just prefer for a comic to pick a tone and stick with it?