Quote Originally Posted by Oracle_Hunter View Post
Still, puncturing one's innocence, particularly in a world literally built for war, is never something to be celebrated. Worse, Sizemore isn't just learning that he has power, he's learning that he is, in fact, bred to kill and kill well, not just dig tunnels and make crap golems.

He hates killing, and every time he has to end another life it kills him a bit more inside. Sure, he's a Technical Pacifist but being forced to confront that pretty much all he does is kill is just going to turn him into a Shell Shocked Senior which is not the fate I'd wish on anyone.

Heck, considering the structure of the game, it probably would have been a kindness for Sizemore to die before he had to order his creation to smoosh the heads of two lovers. The longer he lives the more lives he must take, and it's not a taste he enjoys.
Obviously, I disagree. I don't particularly truck with the idea that sheltering people from the horror is any path to a better life. Innocence is overvalued. I think this way because it encourages a lack of responsibility that is, yes, temporal and localized. This holds doubly true, because whether Sizemore likes it or not, he's nominally on "Team Evil."

Having him die is no favor either. Killing him because he's "slightly damaged goods" seems like amputating a leg to treat a cold. I would not preserve any "purity" at that kind of cost. I would rather have people risk insanity and anomie first before I would ever permit such nihilistic solace. This is the willful disregard of life's reality, not an affirmation of it.

No, he needs to see the full extent of the power he wields in the world and the responsibility, both personally and socially, that he has to own up to. He needs to assert his own morality instead of permitting himself to simply go along with the a system that basically serves the selfish ambitions of men like Stanley and others.