View Single Post

Thread: 124 The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 112

1. - Top - End - #193
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: 124 The Battle for Gobwin Knob, Page 112

Quote Originally Posted by TamLin View Post
    Well, I wasn't really talking about the artistic style so much as the changing tone of the comic. Early on the deaths were gags, and often those being killed were strange, funny, or absurd figures such as giant teddy bears, living peeps, or pink dragons. Gradually that tone has shifted to more graphic depictions of violence against more realistic characters. Speaking just for myself, I find this trend to be manipulative, lulling the reader into thinking that they're reading one thing and then suddenly dropping something altogether different (and unpleasant) into their lap.
    I might be an exception, but I had plenty of sympathy for the earlier frags.

I'm enjoying it more now because I want to see them die, in particular mostly but also general.

Also, genre is overrated. Most exceptional stories will be mixtures and something new.

PS. Your first person plural is confusing people. This is why there was an attack on your words earlier after your first two posts. This being a comic forum, it of course, is full of fans who find little wrong with their object of adoration.
    I was horrified to find how many people in the OoTS forum thought it was the best webcomic - ever (I personally find it fair at best), after I ran a poll.
    Maybe a subsection of the fanbase agrees with you, but you're the only one I've seen posting here.
    Its generally safer to use singular until proven otherwise, but there probably are a small number of readers who agree with you.

Personally I find everything in good context. Generals and warriors make crude and/or simple jokes after massacring tons of people. War is often neither treated in a moral and respectful way or even seriously.

Why should litterature have to care, unless its in the realist stream or of its derivative culture so entrnched into this world by the forces of good which focuses on improving the world, through writing in the case of litterature.
    Last edited by Moechi_Vill; 2008-09-28 at 05:18 AM.