Evil has nothing to do with killing anyone. You can be evil and never kill anyone. Evil is often the intent behind why you do things.

If you save a schoolgirl from from being hit by a bus, is that a good act? Possibly.

If you know she'll grow up and cause the deaths of millions and you save her because she's a human being and every life is sacred, would it be a good act? I'd think so, but it's getting kinda grey.

If you saved her for the sole purpose of ensuring that she kills millions, would that be a good act? Probobly not.

Now what if she kills millions to save billions? Is that a good act for her? kinda grey I'd say. I'd say if she was intending on saving the human race, it would be a good act.

If she killed millions because they were too old and causing a drain on society? Also grey area. Some societies do this as a matter of fact. For the best of the society.

If she killed millions because they questioned her judgement? Most people would agree thats pretty evil, but some may make an argument.

And when you bring two different cultures into the same descision things really get hairy.

D&D is a lot more B&W. They don't deal with Cultural Relativism. The dieties that created the world basically make it a very cut & dry process by boiling down what good/evil & lawful/chaotic is for everyone.

What you have is a character who is evil. The player (Giant) has said so. You may be able to attempt to explain away some of his actions as not evil, but the player flat out says that the character does things with evil intentions.

He doesn't kill kobolds to save the world, he does it to make squishy noises.

He is also Chaotic. That just means he doesn't follow any laws that he doesn't feel like.

Put the two together and you have a character who does whatever he likes with no regard for others. That's pretty much what Chaotic Evil is.

Yeah, evil is evil in D&D. No shades of gray. The old man in the gun shop who sells guns to people from a back alley to supply crooks is evil. So is the guy who hunts people down and wears their skin as clothing. So is the guy who directs underlings to murder people for him. All evil.

I'd say that CE is the closest you can come to being truely selfish/sociopathic in the D&D alignment scale. I mean truely selfish as in you don't care about others and will do whatever you want no matter what. Not selfish like you ate the bag of sweedish fish your brother was saving.