At the Tree with small crowd of Tree cultists:

The crowds' loyalty seems set to sway again towards the outspoken hostile man. Dravick considers his next move. Zan raises the staff at the crowd and speaks the command word that releases the fear effect last used by the Hermit himself against the Badgers.

Zan tries to have in mind some less than terrifying illusion but judging by the break out of madness among the crowd, the staff has other ideas. Most of the crowd of about twenty, start running away while their arms flail at invisible attackers, shrieking warnings at each other. Five, including the fanatic nervously remain for a moment but seeing their firends deserting them quickly decide to take off after them. The long bearded man glares at Zan before running away last. Zan feels a sense of satisfaction edged with a little amused laughter.

[hr]
Guild house, back garden, bird section:

Matthew comforts Fiona and pushes back at her feelings of calm and safety. He examines the Giant Owl with intense interest. A silent monster that can suddenly appear from nowhere -- a good choice for a Silent Image spell.

Sandra:
What needs to be fixed?

The owl gives Sandra instructions on which straps it thinks require her attention. The voice seems a little imperious but it is hard to tell tone with birds. Perhaps the owl is just used to getting its way.

Big Owl:
Thank you little human girl. That's been chafing for hours. I haven't worn the harness for a long time, but I had to come when I heard one of the Ancient Ones had turned up in the city of Zarif of all places!