Any asian gamers? Im at +8 gmt. The game is not installed on my new comp, but if there is enough players, ill reconsider installing it. Mostly play at the local internet cafes. no lag ^_^ (1km square, has estimated a minimum of 1000 pcs in the internet cafes.)

Anyway, for new players, I tend to give the following advice:

Try out 3 diffrent heros. 2 str, 2 agi and 2 int heros. Learn them well. They will form your base of knowedge.

Learn to count! Learn to count the seconds untill your stun wears off, learn to count your mana quickly, learn to count your damage(physical or magical) relative to their life.
Advanced counting are being able to look at their items, count your DoT(damage over time) spells against their estimate hp regen, counting how long they have been missing(more a feel for me). Examples are like how long a early game dead hero will be missing(10 secs for revival and item buying, x seconds of walking back) or how long they have gone from their lane (estimated time to walk to another lane).
Do this with less than 1 sec lag and you will do fine.

Good starting heros are: (with reasons to choose em)
Sven/SK - Reliable single unit stun, nice damage.
Centaur/Sladar - Tanking heros, good attackers/initiators. Pratice aoe stuns(reach and casting time timing)
Lion,Rasta - Good amount of disables, requires you to count mana, hard to die cos of disables.
Lina, kotl - Pratice speed farming with them, aoe casting, etc.
AM,qop - Pratice blinking and its cd, generally fun heros.
Drow/Bone - can be good gankers, also pratice aoe targeting with silence. Try and use the shortcut instead of the auto-fire if possible.

and so on so forth. Lion was one of my earlier heros, and i learnt counting mana and stun time, along with damage vs hp from him. NA is another one.

I prefer to know a few heros, and pratice them untill im good (sense of accomplishment) and from there, learn more heros bit by bit. Learning so many at one time, makes you have to remember more than 70 heros and loads of item builds. Learn 6, from there expand your knowedge and skills.

Btw, shoutout to any DP.com members!