Quote Originally Posted by afroakuma View Post
We originally believed that the humanoid races would garnr much of the voting, with one or two of the new ones and not nearly as much support for genasi, tieflings and aasimar (certainly not all three.) The expectation was that elves, dwarves, orcs etc. wouldn't be such a big deal to toss around percentagewise.

Unfortunately, this decision came about rather late in the process. There was nothing dishonest about it - had we known at the time, we would have so informed you. By the time the votes had reached sky-high proportions, we were still expecting this method to work and gearing up the next two days' voting tables.

We are currently deliberating how to have the races fall.
I figured you guys wouldn't do it deliberately - you guys are very fair in all I've seen. It also probably wouldn't have been a big deal, if so many of the races weren't cross-breeds. For example, having lots of gnolls or lots of lizardmen isn't hard to imagine - one assumes they've had their own lands and culture (however rudimentary) for however long. Cross-breeds are not so easy, especially when the other half is outsider (or undead, if I interpret Ghul correctly). There's a big difference between a half-elf and a half-celestial where how common they are is concerned, and rightly so.

Essentially I agree with Flame of Anor's assessment. Have three tiers. Humans are the most populous, followed by lizardmen and gnolls, followed by the cross-breed races. Lizardmen and Gnoll proportionate populations could be determined by number of votes garnered if you still want to go with that. I'd go with what makes the most sense, but there isn't anything in logic that dictates that gnolls would be more populous than lizardmen or vice versa, from what I can tell.

As far as the cross-breeds go, logically Genasi should be the most populous if I'm interpreting them correctly. They only need trace elemental/efreet/whathaveyou blood. This ancestor could be (and probably is) generations up. It is not too much of a stretch to assume the half-efreet or whoever in the generation following the djinni/elemental ancestor could find a human to have children with, and as the outsider blood becomes less apparent/more diluted over the generations, finding humans to marry wouldn't be difficult.

Now, finding someone half-djinn or half-ghul should logically be more difficult than finding someone with djinn/elemental blood somewhere in their bloodline. As far as which happens more often (half-djinn or half-ghul), that can be decided in any way you see fit without it being a stretch, as I don't see any logical reasoning saying which one should be more populous than the other.