View Single Post

Thread: Gestalt Arena practice - Moby Vs Stella

1. - Top - End - #117
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: Gestalt Arena practice - Moby Vs Stella

Quote Originally Posted by Talic View Post
    1) You stated ruled for incorporeal. We're not. We're Ethereal. That makes a world of difference as to what's allowed. However, I'll rewind to that Round 6, if you like, and modify the turn so that I don't go 60 feet into the wall.
    By RAW, you have a point. However, my main problem wasn't the illegality of the move, it was... the un-sportsmanship. If we fight in an arena, we fight in an arena. I have assumed that the ground and ceiling is part of the arena, which is way I've been spending some time in there. I wouldn't move outside the map. (Actually, I did that when I said I go in the wall. My bad.) You want to disallow that (ground, walls, ceilings), and make it so we can only enter the pillars? Absolutely fine with me. Tactical warfare, yay!

And yes, actually, I'm delaying to attack from a position of advantage. If you can't see me, the hit and run of the build really takes off. It's a rather long delay, but I'm confident I can do it with partial cover.
    Now that you bring that up, between you and me... if I was making the rules, a delay of 100 rounds would be unacceptable. Heck, even 20 rounds would be unacceptable. (Oh, high big barbarian, I'll just disappear until your rage ends! Sucks to be you.) Poor sportsmanship. Bad spectacle for the crowds. Bad idea. But I've accepted it, and we're moving on.

Here's my proposed idea. Neither of us will spend more than 1 full round in total cover at any one time.

That's enough to reposition, to ready something in hiding, and come back out.
    No problem.

However, we must pick a square and be in it. Being halfway between an "in the ground" square and a "not in the ground" square, so as to have partial concealment? not RAW. RAW, the only way you can occupy more than one square is to be a large creature. So we're either at 0 elevation, and visible, or at -5 and in the ground. There's no halfways on that one. Difficult terrain can offer concealment enough to hide, while still being visible, and that's fine. But every square on the board is a bit excessive.
    Ah, I see your point and I've been wording this wrong all this time (because it conjured a better visual, heh). Of course it's illegal to be half-way through squares. But here's what I meant:

Quote Originally Posted by Rules Compendium, p.65
    An incorporeal creature can also occupy the same space as a solid object without being inside that object, and it typically gains cover from doing so. Compare the size of the incorporeal creature to the size of the corporeal object. Consult the Sharing Spaces table to determine the extent of cover enjoyed by the incorporeal creature.
    The Table (which will take me a lot of time to copy properly here, check your pm box in a while) says that the incorporeal creature gains Cover if the corporeal object is same size or one category larger, and Total Cover if the corporeal object is two or more categories larger.

There's also this part:
    Quote Originally Posted by Incorporeal Subtype
    In order to see farther from the object it is in and attack normally, the incorporeal creature must emerge. An incorporeal creature inside an object has total cover, but when it attacks a creature outside the object it only has cover, so a creature outside with a readied action could strike at it as it attacks.
    (Oh, and I know we are ethereal and not incorporeal to each other, but we are certainly not corporeal in relation to objects of the material plane.)

... Aaaaand this is what I've been doing. I believe it's legal. Arguments for or against?
    Last edited by KevLar; 2008-12-04 at 06:16 AM.
    Avatar lawfully nicked from this xkcd strip.

And when I say goodnight
    The pictures in my head
    Will dance around my room
    And frolic in my bed