View Single Post

Thread: Eberron meets Nation states

1. - Top - End - #85
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Aurell

When the excitable gnome returns from acquiring approval from Zukan, goes over the suggestions from Zukan and himself, and finally gets around to introducing himself, Aurell finds himself slightly overwhelmed. To the last he responds first. Why, so you are a fellow member of the Academia. You must tell me, what was your Professorial Thesis on? What did you study afterwards? Have you written any recent papers I might have heard of? Also, may I call you simply by title, or would you prefer part or the entirety of your name?

To Zukan's suggestion, I think we shall not. To require a strict unanimous vote of the council would be to tie us down in litigation. We councilors should not be recompensed for our work in making decisions, and such a policy would make for long discussion with possibly little gain to be found. We each have our own areas of interest, and I think we should keep to them. The Host each have their own portfolios, so should we. Some areas do overlap, as the crafting of these rules show, and in those cases it is indeed logical to reach an agreement. It is for this reason that several specific areas of the laws I laid out do require such a unanimous or majority vote, because they will have consequences for all of our domains.

As for a popular vote, I again disagree. A popular vote put us in these positions of power and responsibility, we should exercise our powers without needing the popular confirmation. To ask them to vote on all laws under consideration would be to call their decision a bad one. Therefore I think such decisions should be under our power alone, except for one. The power to make that specific decision and to repeal it should remain with the people. Call this an addendum to the laws so far; to give any person the powers of Councilor, and to take those powers away again, can only be decided by a three-fourths vote of everyone who is not a Councilor or under consideration for that title.

Spoiler
    Show
    While something like this might be good in the real world, in this setting a popular vote is meaningless. A popular vote is in essence a vote by the DM, which goes against the concept of the campaign. If the DM uses that vote to echo our votes, as he would have to do to remain personally non-biased, a popular vote would just be redundant and circular

As for your suggestion, Professor, I would echo my thoughts towards Zukan. Our individual powers as Councilors should remain ours alone, unless such a decision has clear implications for the domain of another Councilor. I was given the domain of law, and I believe that what I have codified is the best that can be done for that domain in this situation. I have done the necessary steps in consulting with Zukan, and all has gone well. No more approvals should be required. Although I am willing to hear suggestions from any person on laws, I feel I should keep it in my power to make the final decision, unless such a decision would infringe on the powers of another Counciler or the rights of a being.
    Last edited by Cobrateen2000; 2008-12-16 at 07:14 PM.