1. - Top - End - #149
    Banned

Default Re: Rutskarn's Roly-Poly Rebellious and Rejected Random Banter #110

Quote Originally Posted by Coplantor View Post
    And I would laugh if only I could get it. Not a physics guy myself... please dont chase me with pitchforks.
    Here, let me explain them in excruciating detail.

See, blue shift is what occurs when an object is moving towards you. Andromeda is coming towards the Milky Way and so is blue shifting. Therein lies the crappy joke. Blue shift itself is an apparent shortening of the wavelength of light and whatnot. And I do say apparent here, since we're talking about light. It is blue shift because the shorter wavelengths of visible light correspond to the blue end of the spectrum, where red is the opposite end. Just as there is blue shift there is red shift when something is moving away from you.

Also, the coefficent of friction μ, which is unique to each surface, is basically a measure of how easily an object slips along it. With a low μ the surface will allow pretty much anything to slip off of it. μ is also pronounced 'mew'. Like a cat. The coefficient of friction is defined by the model that the maximum force of friction that can occur is equal to the coefficient of friction multiplied by the normal reaction, if I recall correctly.
    Last edited by Player_Zero; 2009-01-03 at 09:40 AM.