1. - Top - End - #136
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40k -II- Tactics for the Tactics God

EDIT: Dang, two long posts in a row. I'll spoiler my stuff to cut down on length.

Well, I'm back with tales of bravery and adventure. Well... more or less. I played my 1000 'naught list all right, but against a supprise enemy. My own Necrons!

Spoiler
    Show
    My brother wanted to try them out, so we got down to it. I didn't make any changes to the 'naught's loadout, but it wouldn't have made any differance either way. He knew what I was taking, so he designed his list to counter the 'naughts as best he could. 2 Scarab Swarms with Disruption fields, two squads of 10xWarriors, 2 Necron Lords both with Resurection Orbs attatched to the warriors, 3 Heavy Destroyers, and I think that was about it.

The game was largely uneventfull. He tied up both the Plas'naughts with the scarabs for practicaly the entire game, so the did largely nothing except defend themselves. Around the end of turn 5 Plas'naught 1 was dead from massive glancing, and the Plas'naught 2's Plasma Cannon was destroyed. The second one survived with the help of the Storm Troopers assulting the rear of the scarabs. The Grey Knights killed a lord and a bunch of Necrons before going down due to poor rolls and ignored armor saves (dang staff of light). My Brother-Captain single-handedly faced down the other Warrior squad + Lord and killed the lord and five others before going down due to an unlucky roll (because I can't nail a 4+ save consistantly to save my life ). The Las'naught did practicaly nothing the entire game, killing maybe three warriors. I just made a lot of poor rolls with 'em.

I won by Phase Out, but I only had a crippled 'naught and a curiously untouched squad of Storm Troopers. Still, it was a fun game, so it didn't matter who won.

And then there was the 'other' game. It was 1500 points against Tyranid. I knew I would be outnumbered by an ungodly ammount, so I said to hell with it and just took my 'naught list and tacked on a full squad of Grey Knights Terminators (9 + Brother-Captain). My god do those things eat up points! Around 460 points, give or take 25.

Spoiler
    Show
    It was funny, there was my side of the board, with ten Grey Knights, ten Storm Troopers, and three Dreadnaughts (I was deep striking the terminators). Then there was his side, at least two full squads of gaunts (I can't remember which), three Carnifex, two Genestealer Broods, two Genestealer Broodlords (one being his Main HQ choise), three Lictors, 3 psyker things who's name escapes me, and some misc. other things.

What basicaly happened was the Knights and Storm Troopers got nom nom nom'ed along side the Las'naught, while the two Plas'naughts and the Terminators kicked ass. The Terminators more than paid for themselves in the sheer amount of Tyranid killed. Totaly awesome. The Las'naught, however, was the worst model in the game. I only ever rolled ones on the 'to-hit' rolls, and if not that it was on the 'to-wound' rolls! I was glad when it died. I belive it was because I was using a Eldar Wraithlord to proxy the 'naught. Eldar models curse their player when used as proxies, or at the very least they curse me. It didn't suck as much against the Necrons because I was using a Warwalker to proxy it then.

So yeah, eventualy the Terminators just get dragged down once my opponent started sending everything he had at them, and two Carnifex ganged up on the 'naughts to take them down. So I may have lost, but I had lots of fun doing so.

Oh, and a quick question. Dreadnaught Close Combat weapons, do they act exactly as a power fist? As in, reduces his attacks to Initiative 1? Because that is what everybody at the shop says. I doubt it though, cause it does not say so in the rulebook, at least anywhere I could find.[/spoiler]
    Last edited by Ghal Marak; 2009-01-12 at 05:25 PM.