1. - Top - End - #138
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Default Re: Warhammer 40k -II- Tactics for the Tactics God

Quote Originally Posted by Oracle Hunter
    No, that sounds about right. But why worry about overkilling a tank? The nice thing about Warp Spiders is that they can pop back behind cover after doing their thing, so it's not like they need to lay down cover fire to keep from getting chopped up by return fire. A little overkill seems like a fair trade off for preventing the loss of your Autarch.
    As I may have mentioned in a previous Thread, I have unfortunately broken the meta-game in my local pool of opponents. Sufficed to say, killing 2 Tanks per turn - or killing one tank and a whole mess of Troops with Deathspinners - early in the game has become extremely urgent!
    Overkill is GREAT - what I'm trying to do is inflict it on as many different units at the same time as I can!

Quote Originally Posted by Tren View Post
    Everything you mentioned looks right to me, but in 5th edition all jump infantry come with the deepstrike rule by default. So you don't even have to buy the exarch power for the spiders anymore, they can already DS, and you could even have your lone autarch with hawk wings or warp jump generator go all Rambo and deepstrike by his lonesome behind a tank with that fusion gun.
    Ah yes, Codex vs. Updated Rulebook. I never thought of that, so thank you Tren
    Even so, it doesn't solve the problem of the Autarch being alone when the dice go wrong - all in all, I'm probably better off with another unit of tooled-up Warp Spiders, and making up the difference with extra bodies.

Thanks for the ideas though!

This is correct. In fact, an IC joins or leaves a squad in the movement phase. All models in a squad shoot at the same target (unless you're Space Marines, but they're so special they don't have to follow the rules). So yeah, generally, if you're in desperate need of anti-tank, take fire dragons. Leave anti-infantry for purely anti infantry (or, worse case, haywire grenades so you can smack rear armor).
    Guven that on top of the Autarch and Warp Spiders I'm already fielding 20 Wraithguard and 2 Wraithlord (in a 2000 points army), I'm probably just being greedy when it comes to killing Tanks.
    All in all, I'm probably better off forgetting the Autarch entirely and reinforcing the Scorpions - even alone, those guys have done things that verge on the heroic, and that's even before I'd tried out the Outflank rules.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2009-01-12 at 05:30 PM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation