Quote Originally Posted by purple gelatinous cube o' Doom View Post
Ok, global cooling is not "fringe science", and is actually a widely accepted theory, just as much so as global warming in many scientific circles. So please don't tell me that it's just a bunch of crackpots that have thought the idea up.
I'm only commenting on the parts here that I really have something to say about, as arguing over things which I am less ideally informed about wastes time. Without further ado:

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Global cooling
This hypothesis never had significant scientific support, but gained temporary popular attention due to a combination of press reports that did not accurately reflect the scientific understanding of ice age cycles, and a slight downward trend of temperatures from the 1940s to the early 1970s.
Since I know wikipedia is not a valid scientific source, below are some articles it cited when making the above assertation which should be up to snuff:

The first outlines the scientific consensus for global warming rather than global cooling. The second was cited for this quote:

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
Of those scientific papers considering climate trends over the 21st century, only 10% inclined towards future cooling, while most papers predicted future warming.
The third article addresses how the importance of greenhouse gases was underestimated in global cooling reports from the 1970s. But, like Reading Rainbow, don't take my word for it!