"Ah, the Law. Sigil is quite special in that regard, if you must now. Ask a dozen berks on the street, and they'll all tell you different things about the law or who is and should be upholding it. Of course, you do not get any more or less rights than anyone else, and the Harmonium probably won't like you too much. Now, I only had a short talk with a fellow named "Bald Grum", a barkeeper and such down there in that district, and your contact, by the way, and I was told that they would all be quite content, if the Hardheads, that's the Harmonium for you, didn't get involved, for they don't want the factions wandering around in their quarter too much. They want their peace and quiet, and are therefore not quite hapy wit the Chaosmen suddenly taking too much interest, so they just want them out, not scribed into the deadbook. Just, well, doing their amusing little pranks elsewhere."
He takes his feet from the desk.
"Now then, I think this is a good time as any to introduce you to my dear colleague."
He opens one of the doors at the back of the room and leads you up a narrow flight of metal stairs, to another door, this one quite massive, a single piece of steel with hinges as thick as a man's arm and a knob slightly larger than a fist.
Blake knocks, a deep and metallic sound and, after a few seconds, the door opens.
Behind the door stands a female dwarf, only reaching up to Blake's chest, but twice his width, clad in a thick leather apron and matching heavy gloves, over a heavy linnen coat, stained with what are either small burns or acid stains, and thick bronze and glass goggles, pushed up over her forehead. She has hair in the kind of colour that is neither quite brown nor blond, tied together with a strap of leather behind her head.
"May I introduce, Khaïra Stonehammer, my esteemed colleague. She is in charge of our equipment, forensics, alchemy and, if necessary, sending people to prison with the hammer she takes her family name from."
He then turns in the other direction.
"And Khaïra, my dear, these are our new associates, if everything goes all right. May I hand them over to you now, so you might hand them some of the most necessary equipment?"
Stonehammer doesn't seem all that pleased to see you, or at the prospect to leave you in, but she stands aside anyway, gesturing her to follow her in the large room behind the door, which seems, at once, to be an alchemists labratory, a forge and an engineers workshop, filled with complicated-looking tools, flasks of sometimes coloured, but mostly colourless liquids, jars labeled in dwarfen and draconic runes, complicated arrangements of tubes and bottles filled with more strange chemicals, tiny cogs and screws arranged on a velvet cloth by a barred window, a large and colourful stuffed bird hanging from the ceiling, what seems to be a collection of near-identical rocks on a shelf, a sheet of parchment covering an entire wall filled with complicated schematics, a really impressive, at least four feet long warhammer with a head of black stone and several large cupboards and shelves along the walls, all made from various metals, most of them closed, but the others containing various other curiosities.
"Well, you heard my name, so let's skip the pleasantries. You need equipment, so let's start with the obvious. All of you got weapons?"