View Single Post

Thread: New Star Trek Movie

1. - Top - End - #55
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: New Star Trek Movie

Babylon 5 and DS:9 are different beasts entirely

As for treating alien cultures with respect (or none), Deep Space 9 was in my eyes a lot better than B5... B5 used alien customs for comedy consistently. When it was well done (the centauri, the minbari, although the minbari had some fairly ridiculous ones) it was good, but some of the other races... green vs. purple, the simpletons of the council of non-aligned worlds, as well as the ancients that Ivanova goaded... well, I'd say that DS:9 definitely irritated me less here.

Both shows have their crowning moments; DS:9 has the epic dominion war battles (watching that federation fleet tear into the huge dominion force was just epic), some characters who definitely knock it up a notch (Garak, Julian, O'Brian mainly), interesting and complex villains (Gul'Dukat, Dumar, even Weyoun in his own way)... and the morally ambiguous episodes. I only saw the later seasons, and they were generally awesome.

Babylon 5 has some great protagonists, a very well thought out overall plot (Sinclair...), good characters, very much gray morality, some great villains (Bester, Morden, Mollari/G'kar earlier in the series), some epic crowning moments of awesome (Ivanova), a shifting command staff (!). A lot of funny as well.

And Vir Cotto. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t8MjQ5Z7ZNo

I would definitely recommend watching both.
    Last edited by Vael Nir; 2009-04-28 at 05:25 PM.