So what you mean is... I think I understand.

If I understand right, it would be like thus: a player has a Buster pistol with a super-charger upgrade. She could fire it as many times a she wanted, but if she charged up a shot and fired it, it would require a cool-down/recharge before she can safely fire the buster pistol again. But, if it was dire enough, she could fire the pistol while it is still cooling down/recharging but at the risk of causing a malfunction? I guess just a weapon jam. Maybe add a few more rounds to the recharge, and it can't fire at all until then.

Hmm... a bit simpler that that Power Reserve thing. And simplicity usually wins over complexity.

But then, hooking it up to the generator would have to change too. Perhaps, in the Super-Charger example, the recharge is 1d3 rounds once it's fired. But hooking it up to a generator gives that roll a -1 modifier. But... there wouldn't be a downside then. Oh, maybe roll a d100 every time you roll the max on recharge dice (reguardless of modifiers), and on a 90-100 the generator stutters, giving the Low-Power warning and modifiers until the recharge is complete. Wouldn't happen to often, but it's pretty bad when it does.

Eh, none of this is set in stone, so it's okay to play around with different game mechanics. Oh yeah, I looked into that FUDGE thing. I can't get it. The place I order all my books through couldn't get a hold of it. Apparently, it's only over in UK, so getting my hands on a copy would be too troublesome. I guess I'll just have to go with BESM or Gurps.