Quote Originally Posted by Rasilak View Post
Nitpick: This is correct when counting according to the japanese rules (which are far more popular), but not for the chinese rules (they count own stones + captured stones + territory). Still it's bad tactics to fill *that* much of your territory with stones - so many wasted moves.
Of course, since Azure City looks like a ripoff from Japan, one could assume that they play by japanese rules.
Also, apart from that big black blob, the MitD doesn't play that bad. Some of the white groups are actually dead (just look at the upper left corner), and black has a good position to secure a nice chunk of the open area - or start some serious invasions in white's territory. And it seems as if both played pretty defensive (lots of straight lines, and very little signs of captured stones).
(To be taken with a grain of salt, I'm not a master player either.)
First of all, occasionally it's tactically advantageous to attack inside of someone's territory, because if you place enough stones at the right places, you can prevent the opponent from making an eye, and therefore convert that territory to yours.

Secondly, Ochul here could very well have intended to teach this lesson to MitD from the beginning, and attacked within MitD's territory with this in mind, leading MitD, step-by-step, to finish with two empty spots inside for the lecture.

Thirdly, related directly to this thread's original subject: you have to say that the Giant has implied through Ochul or others that MitD has a decent Intelligence score, while sporting a low low wisdom score. This is evidenced by the MitD leaning Go extremely quickly, etc. I agree that the tarrasque is tempting to point to, but I think the Giant's plan has yet to be subverted (at least on a large scale).

Disclaimer: I'm not a great go player either, but I've played some games to the end to see some of this.