Quote Originally Posted by Keld Denar View Post
I dun get it...please provide reference?

:P
See #188. (For that matter, read the rest of the list, too. It's funny, even if you don't play CRPGs.)

Quote Originally Posted by Ravens_cry View Post
But otherwise I expect it to be the same.
Well, my point is that that doesn't seem like a reasonable expectation to me. A world's natural laws are interrelated: If one is different from our own, I'd expect others to be different, too. Yeah, there are surface similarities, but those just fill the story role of keeping the setting familiar, instead of completely bizarre and alien.

Basically, I tentatively assume that the average man on the street's everyday perception of a fictional world is the same as my perception of my world until it's specified otherwise. But I don't assume that precipitation happens in a world where there's an actual weather deity to send the rain. There's no point in a fantastic replacement for the water cycle if the water cycle is still there. Basically, I assume we're rewinding to when people thought water was an element and spirits were responsible for natural cycles and all sorts of things we disbelieve now, and saying, hey, in this world all that stuff is right, and people can observe it to be right. It seems obvious that we should assume that all of our modern explanations of phenomena get tossed out, if we're dealing with a world where the ancient explanations are right.

But I guess that maybe I'm strange in seeing "Just like our world, but also with magic everywhere" as being very counterintuitive, almost contradictory. It makes no sense to me to assume that you can just toss in magic and leave everything else the same. (As I once saw it put: A good fantasy world either has an explanation for why spellcasters don't rule the world, or a group of spellcasters who rule the flippin' world.)