Quote Originally Posted by Seraph View Post
it could be that the bear-thing is of a species that evolved a foul or poisonous taste to help discourage predators, and that the monster went for kirk because it knows not to eat the poisonous animal even if it is bigger.
Ooh. That's a good one.

On the other hand, the bear-monster would be an apex predator on any other planet. It's hard for me to believe that anything eats them except the giant ice-monsters. And species with few predators generally don't evolve to be poisonous. That's mostly reserved for species too weak to fight back against predators and too slow to run away (like frogs and beetles), because they need a defense mechanism that works just as well even against a creature you cannot hope to defeat or escape.
______

Quote Originally Posted by Corvus View Post
There are people who know what the Matilda II is? Next we'll be talking about Vickers VIs, A13s, H39s etc.
Oh, I don't care much for any of those. But I have a soft spot for Matildas specifically. Though the only one I ever got to see was in a sorry state; it took an 88 to the turret at the Halfaya Pass and hasn't been the same since.