Quote Originally Posted by Mrmud View Post
Better Sock scenario:

Let's say two electron are orbiting in cohesion, many millions of light years apart. One spinning upwards, the other spinning downward. By some irrelevant circumstance, we know that: They are spinning in complete opposite directions. They will never change direction. And no outside force will interfere with the electrons. By seeing electron A spinning upward, doesn't that mean electron B is spinning downward, before the millions of years (by the seemingly malleable speed of light) it would take to travel however far out and see Electron B? Thus the transmission of that information moves faster than the speed of light. But again, it is useless information and therefore, ultimately irrelevant.
Well no... the information isn't travelling far at all. Think about it, you're not actually gaining any information from the electron that you aren't observing, you're just extrapolating from the information you have gleaned from the nearby electron (at well below the speed of light).

Also there is no certainty in this situation that the second electron will act in the way you predict.

If the act of observing the electrons spinning actually effected the spin of the other electron (which you specifically ruled out), ie that knowing that electron a spins clockwise makes electron b spin anti-clockwise, then you're in a whole different quantum mechanical ball-field. But then again I don't understand that topic enough to talk about it much (also I don't think particles paired in such away can exist very far apart... I just don't know)