Quote Originally Posted by randman22222 View Post
UAE. And what did you get batteries for?
Just curious, because last year, I really wanted to make a coilgun. Never got around to it, and now I'm not sure why I wanted to make one.
Well, see, I have this thing for taking stuff apart... so I got an extra NES (mine works perfectly even after nearly 20 years of being in my possession). I figured, hey, why not do things to it? I'm taking a trip in a few weeks, so I figured, hey, why not take my NES? Except it's hard to use during the trip and one can only use it at the destination. So the answer... portable NES!

So I have a screen (not great, but it works and I got it very cheap for an LCD TV thingy). I have the NES. I have stuff to make the case with, plenty of cables, a sacrificial controller, voltage regulators, etc. I just needed the battery. I wanted a li-ion battery, but those aren't the easiest thing to use (and especially... GET). See, you have to get universal ones, or they explode. And finding universal li-ion batteries... is not easy. So while we were looking for that, my dad sees these lead acid ones, 12V (so that would spare us the use of one regulator). And he goes, hey, why not use those? I told him that 2 amperes-hour wasn't good enough, given how the device will use 1.1 (so the battery would last less than two hours). So my dad comes up with the idea that we can just use two and connect them to each other in parallel and that would give us the 12V but with twice the capacity. So then, 3.6 hours of power. It's a heavy setup, but I can't currently afford any better than that. And since the batteries were at clearance... 2 lead acid batteries it is. I'll just add some sort of strap or something to the portable so that it will be easier to carry around.

... And it will double as a self-defense weapon, it's gonna be that heavy.