Quote Originally Posted by SolkaTruesilver View Post
I don't buy the "not in control" and "driven by rage". Maybe Parson was angry, maybe he had powerful emotions flowing trough him..

But I think the whole final comic was him being in complete moment of purpose. It was Him Vs The World. Parson Vs The Rules. He had to put all his focus into that moment, when he shattered what existed in the world of Erfworld...

It makes a complete difference between someone who "let loose" a swear word because he has been angered, injured or surprised. These swearwords are usually involountary, and I agree that they are rarely needed.

But this time, it wasn't an accidental swearword. If anything else, I don't think there have been a swearword more intentional than this one. And that's what makes it powerful.
(Okay, I'm a little late to the party, that's what I get for only reading once a week)

Actaully, I'm much more inclined to forgive a curse let out accidentally on impulse than one given directly and intentionally. While it's definetely "rarely needed," an accidental curse is not given with the same intent. An intentional use of such a word is more calculated to be offensive, and it is the intent behind the use that perverts an otherwise legitimate word and turns it into a "swear word." That's probably why I tend to be more offended by such words in print (like this comic) then when dropped in conversation, because it had to be put there intentionally and with forethought and decision. It means someone is actively trying to cause offense.

However, my problem with this comic has nothing to do with the level of offense I may have taken at the use of the word, but rather with the violation of the rules of the website. I know Rich gave his justification/explanation for this, and I know there are all manner of arguments in favor of "artistic" use of foul language (which frankly, more often than not tend to be half-done excuses to be vulgar rather than true artistic expression), but the fact of the matter remains that the established rules were broken, and an exception was made. This sets the precedent that the rules here may be suspended without warning, and it means that this is no longer a safe site. I can no longer browse it on my break at work, I can't read it at home where family is present, because now I never know if the site is going to open up with something "unsafe" emblazoned across the page.

The thing is, this all could have been easily avoided. There could have been a warning included with the link. The final page could have consisted of a link to the new Erfworld site. But instead, it was put up like any other page, with no warning or disclaimer of the content.

The bottom line is, Rich has shown he is willing to bend or ignore the rules laid down on his site without warning, and that means I can no longer trust the content on this site. Truthfully, that loss of trust is the greater offense to me, and because of it, I won't be returning.

So I bid a regretful farewell to the Order of the Stick and the Giant in the Playground. It was fun while it lasted, and I'm sorry it had to end this way. Best of luck.

-Blackbird71