View Single Post

Thread: Twilight - Love it, or Hate it?

1. - Top - End - #327
    Ogre in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Default Re: Twilight - Love it, or Hate it?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Gareth View Post
    The Modern Prometheus (I prefer that title, so sue me)

Really? I mean, I agree with the title, but the book was crap.

I mean, talk about a book badly in need of an editor...

It's all personal taste, I guess. Hell I liked Eragon. The first time I read it. Which was when I had my brain off. Yeah, second time through I was like what is this crap?

... wow, so off topic in an already totally off topic post replying to an already off topic post. Talk about having your brain off.

My theory on why we all hate Twilight so much? It's not about the messed relationships or the bad writing, there's tons of stuff out there like that. And it does so bringing in lots of scary fangirls who are, I'll freely admit, worthy of much taunting.

We revile Twilight because it intrudes on the domain of the Geek, on Buffy, Nosfaratue, Carpe Jugulum and the Maskarade. I think we all react so... defensively to Twilight because we are, more or less, a semi-opressed subculture. And we're both proud and ashamed of our position on the social ladder. And because of that, we see a lot of infighting. On this forum you can see Wizards vs. all other classes, Powergamers vs. Roleplayers, 3rd vs. 4th ed. D&D and a few other running battles, which are subsets of the other geek wars, ala this. So yeah, anyway, the only main reason 'we' (by which I mean me, my invisible friends, and anyone who agrees with me) like to rip on Twilight is because she chose to write about one of 'our' topics but got a bunch of screaming tween girls to read it, and so connected 'our' topic, even retroactivally, not to Bela Lugosi but to Edward the Shiny and his cult. Anything else is justification, but not causation. That said, if it had been good we'd probably all be defending the damn thing, but if it were good, mass popularity with the wrong demographics wouldn't be an issue.

Yeah, it might all be crap, but I got an essay out of it. Think I still have it somewhere around here.

... I got off topic with in my post, but it somehow placed me on the thread topic.
    Last edited by The_JJ; 2009-06-05 at 12:19 AM.