View Single Post

Thread: V's Gender Debate IV [Official]

1. - Top - End - #836
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: V's Gender (pronouns)

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderCat View Post
    I'm not bothered by whatever pronouns people choose to use. Perhaps it's because I'm not a native English speaker, but there's nothing that sounds inherently right or wrong, be it he, she, s/he, he or she, zie, hir, they, em, ey, eir, or whatever people can think of, and I'm not offended at all when people suggest new usages. The only thing that bothers me a little, is all the contempt and hostility here against 'the politically correct' , but I guess some people will always have a problem when others don't think exactly like them.
    But the people who use 'he' or 'she' don't normally object when others use "she, zie, hir, they, em, ey, eir, or whatever"...well if they do it's usually only because they believe V is a 'he' or 'she'.

It was the OP, who said "I've seen all kinds of nonstandard pronouns used to refer to Vaarsuvius. Stuff like "Hir" "Vim/Vis" and "Shim". These stopgap pronouns are awkward, confusing and ugly. We should be using Spivak pronouns..."

It's the OP who had a problem with the usage of others. It was the OP who suggested the conformity of the nonconformist. The suggestion was phrased mildly but the suggestion itself carried its own "hostility", as you call it. It's no surprise people responded the way they did.

I know not what [grammar] course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty [to use the pronoun as I see fit] or give me death [of intelligent discourse]!
    Last edited by HamsterOfTheGod; 2009-06-05 at 06:00 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    OotS Fan-fiction (An alternate OotS-verse starting after page 603. If you want to read it go here)

bad Erf-poetry

and other sillyness.