View Single Post

Thread: V's Gender Debate IV [Official]

1. - Top - End - #855
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: V's Gender (pronouns)

Quote Originally Posted by HamsterOfTheGod View Post
    But the people who use 'he' or 'she' don't normally object when others use "she, zie, hir, they, em, ey, eir, or whatever"...well if they do it's usually only because they believe V is a 'he' or 'she'.
    Spivak is just replacing one tyranny with another. V is freedom. V is the transcendence of duality. V is self-expression. And above all V is one, damn funny running gag which would be killed by political correctness.
    Quote Originally Posted by MickJay View Post
    I'm quite happy with using "he" in its function as pronoun for undefined gender; I find it less confusing (regardless of situation) than any of the dozen of monstrosities spawned by poorly thought-out PC.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    It doesn't bother me when people refer to V as female, but it really annoys me when people use the idiotic politically correct pronouns to refer to V.

Political correctness has a tendency to foster resentment towards an entire group because one member demands you use one word instead of another, often when you meant no offense. In these scenerios, I tend to show the person what I would've said if I DID intend to insult them...
    It seems to me like some people on this thread actually do object to the use of these so-called 'politically correct' pronouns. And with much stronger words, but for less actual reason, than I've seen used against other sorts of pronouns. As someone who went through the cartoon crisis in Denmark, and experienced the hostility against people who didn't have the right politically incorrect attitude, I can't help developing equally hostile feelings towards the people who use the term 'political correctness' as a slander against their opponents, in order to shut down a debate.
    It was the OP, who said "I've seen all kinds of nonstandard pronouns used to refer to Vaarsuvius. Stuff like "Hir" "Vim/Vis" and "Shim". These stopgap pronouns are awkward, confusing and ugly. We should be using Spivak pronouns..."

It's the OP who had a problem with the usage of others. It was the OP who suggested the conformity of the nonconformist. The suggestion was phrased mildly but the suggestion itself carried its own "hostility", as you call it. It's no surprise people responded the way they did.

I know not what [grammar] course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty [to use the pronoun as I see fit] or give me death [of intelligent discourse]!
    The OP made a freaking suggestion. Everything else, such as the idea that the OP was trying to oppress you by not letting you disagree with the suggestion, is made up by you. There are plenty of people, here and other places, who've made suggestions, and expressed how they feel about other pronouns, so I find it striking that only people who suggest the use of newer attempts at gender neutral pronouns (such as Spivak) are accused of being against freedom, while others can apparently use words such as 'tyranny' and 'monstrosities' against the choice of words they disagree with, with no consequences (save for annoying me).
    Last edited by ThunderCat; 2009-06-06 at 05:49 AM.