View Single Post

Thread: V's Gender Debate IV [Official]

1. - Top - End - #856
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: V's Gender (pronouns)

Quote Originally Posted by ThunderCat View Post
    It seems to me like some people on this thread actually do object to the use of these so-called 'politically correct' pronouns. And with much stronger words, but for less actual reason, than I've seen used against other sorts of pronouns.
    So in a battle about words, you are objecting to battling with words?

As someone who went through the cartoon crisis in Denmark, and experienced the hostility against people who didn't have the right politically incorrect attitude, I can't help developing equally hostile feelings towards the people who use the term 'political correctness' as a slander against their opponents, in order to shut down a debate.
    Political debate should be kept out of these forums. But let me say, that in my experience during a certain period of time in a certain place, 'political correctness' was used to stifle debate.

The OP made a freaking suggestion.
    And other posted have made what? Laws? Decrees? Insults? Or have they expressed their opinions, personal usage, and suggestions?

Everything else, such as the idea that the OP was trying to oppress you by not letting you disagree with the suggestion, is made up by you.
    So now you also object to my use of hyperbole, humor, and rhetoric?

There are plenty of people, here and other places, who've made suggestions, and expressed how they feel about other pronouns, so I find it striking that only people who suggest the use of newer attempts at gender neutral pronouns (such as Spivak) are accused of being against freedom
    I did not object when any posted here their personal usage or when they used such in other posts. It was the OP who suggested the we all should use Spivak. I countered that I refused to use such a usage and I criticized the OP for his suggestion, much as his suggestion criticized everyone else.

while others can apparently use words such as 'tyranny' and 'monstrosities' against the choice of words they disagree with, with no
    consequences (save for annoying me).
    And what should be the consequence for my use of the word 'tyranny'? What should be the consequence for my strong but tongue-in-cheek disagreement over word usage with the OP?
    Last edited by HamsterOfTheGod; 2009-06-06 at 01:36 PM.
    Spoiler
    Show
    OotS Fan-fiction (An alternate OotS-verse starting after page 603. If you want to read it go here)

bad Erf-poetry

and other sillyness.