Quote Originally Posted by Selene View Post
I've never heard of Giant Space Hamsters. Are they something popular? If it does turn out to be this, I hope somebody will explain the Space Hamster oriented jokes after the reveal.
Giant Space Hamsters were a monster in Elllllves iiiiiiin Spaaaaace!!!, AKA Spelljammer. But as Kisk noted, they're more widly known than Spelljammer because of the Balder's Gate series of games, and the ranger Minsc and his (alleged) Miniture Giant Space Hamster, Boo. Minsc's battle-cry "Go for the eyes, Boo!" is perhaps the most remembered character-fluff one-liner from any computer RPG. Minsc and Boo actually originated in a pencil-and-paper D&D game involving one of the game designers.

The Balder's Gate series was remarkably popular (I think the most popular licensed D&D title ever), and while seemingly every RPG ever has had players with Drizzt-knockoff characters running around, the series featured the only licensed apperance of Drizzt Do'Urden in a computer RPG.

Quote Originally Posted by Lufia View Post
Giant Space Hamsters aren't scary, though. They're fluffy.
Weren't there "Carnivorous Giant Space Hamsters: an understandable, but regrettable experiment" and the Tyranohamstersaurus, much feared by the Tinker Gnomes? Well, I doubt that's really the MitD, but I just can't figure anything else that combines devouring opponents with powerful SLAa that cause a need to rest (though I understand there are divine powers with that restriction).