Quote Originally Posted by Zincorium View Post
Erm, to clarify, I am the only one who won't be buying a boxed set, as I've already purchased a daemon prince, one each of thousand sons, berzerkers, and regular marines plus a rhino and obliterators. Everyone else is using a boxed set*. I am getting the impression that since my stuff is more expensive points-wise I may not even need all of it.

It was brought up that only the Tau starter set comes playable as-is... What do the others need? Specifically Tyranids?

Additionally, the Assault on Black reach set, where is it in comparison? I'm considered the 'resident expert' and I know nowhere near enough about any of the other factions to qualify as such.

*Everyone else plans on doing so. I would have to be pretty convincing for them to do otherwise considering how much stuff can cost.
You've got substantially more points than anyone that's using just the box set: 1 HQ, 3 Troops, 1 or 2 Heavy Support. Off the top of my head I think you've got over 1000 points right there.

Looking at the Tyranids set, I think it might be legal out of the box (I think Warriors are HQ and there's enough gaunts for 2 Troops). The others tend to either need an HQ or another Troop choice. They're not particularly effective armies out of the box, but they're perfectly playable.