Quote Originally Posted by Zanaril View Post
Chapter 2:
Spoiler
Show
A slight breeze drifted though the barred window, catching a few strands of white hair. The elf shivered slightly, snuggling further into the arms of the warm being who lay next to him; a slight smile crossed dark lips, their owner deep in pleasant memories. The other elf, however, was not so restful. Features twisted into a frown, upleasant memories crossed unbidden behind closed eyes. Finally, these dark spectres of the past became to much, and with a gasp Vaarsuvius jerked awake and sat up, breathing heavily.

ZZ'dtri opened bleary eyes. "Again?"

Vaarsuvius nodded, then shivered and replaced the dislodged cloak around bare shoulders; under a makeshift blanket of cloaks and robes they were both naked. The dark elf sat up too, stifling a yawn, then wrapped his arms protectively around the other's shoulders.

"Too many things I can't forget." Vaarsuvius sighed, leaning back and closing tired eyes. "I though it was bad before, when all I could focus on was how my magic had failed... how I'd failed. But now -" The elf trailed off, holding back a sob. Zz'dtri raised a hand, and gently touched the other's face.
"Now all I can remember of is the fear in their eyes."

"They'd forgive you if they understood." He muttered, replacing the hand with lips.

"But I don't think they would." Vaarsuvius sighed again. "I made the decision to leave them long, long ago, even if I didn't realize at the time. I traded their love for my thirst for the arcane, then when I though I had finally proved my power, I expected it to be enough to replace actual devotion to my family." A slight, sad laugh "I abandon one thing for another all too readily, then expect forgiveness when it fails me. Look where I am now!"

Zz'dtri paused in the process of gently nibbling a pointed ear, then shrugged when Vaarsuvius made no indication to stop. Dark hands left their place around the other's shoulders to stroke down thin sides.

"I can't stay here, there's too many people who - who are depending on me, and not - ah!- not just my family." V turned a purple haired head towards Z'zdtri - tangled strands almost lilac in the low light - and burried a pained face in the side of his neck as his hands continued to move lower.

"Otherwise, I don't think the memories will ever go away." V murmered, twisting around to return the now fervent ministrations by locking lips.

"Don't have to trance." Zz'dtri said, pulling away momentarily "Just.. don't think."
For the rest of the night, neither spoke. The only sounds in the dark were the soft rustle of cloth and, occasionally, a soft sigh.
Zanaril, that was amazing. I love all the stories you've written so far.

Also: I wouldn't mind compiling all these stories. I'll do it tonight.