Can you take some kind of public transportaiton to get back and forth to the convention area? I mean...if they want to sit in their hotel room and play makeouts, thats fun. You paid con fees and I'm guessing you want to get your money's worth. Taxi's generally aren't that expensive on short jaunts, and if you meet a bunch of people, maybe you'll meet others at the con who are staying in the same hotel who'll help you split costs when you are ready to go home at the end of the night.

And trust me...being social at a convention (gaming, anime, cosplay, anything geeky) is about the EASIEST thing to do. Seriously...just walk up to a group of people and say something like "Kefka could TOTALLY take Sepheroth in a fight", and your new found friends will regail you with every concieveable piece of information ever printed, said, or seen. Seriously. You are ALL socially inept geeks, EMBRACE IT! <3

Especially if your gender symbol is correct. Most women at conventions can make a lot of friends really easily just by acting moderately interested, because frankly, the ratio of dude geeks to chick geeks is depressingly low. If you are genuinely interested (which I'd assume, since you are at a con) and moderately knowledgable (again, I'm gonna assume you are), then you shouldn't have any issues meeting others at a con.