Quote Originally Posted by Draz74 View Post
The easy way to fix this would be to take away Tiger Claw, but create a new feat.
Still, some of the Tiger Claw maneuvers seem fitting even without TWF, like Sudden Leap for example. I think I'll just disallow Extra Granted Maneuver. That should be enough of a nerf to tone him down to crusader level, I hope.

Yeah, I noticed when reading over your other classes that we don't really see eye-to-eye on MAD. I'm of the school of thought that MAD is actually good design for a class. (Note that while MAD is often cited as the source of the Monk's weakness, that the Swordsage is just as MAD and yet still powerful.)
It's not so much MAD itself that I dislike; picking one thing to specialize in is fine, like swordsage can do. But for some of them, it's just that there's almost no reason to take a stat since it only affects a small part of what the class does. Cha for rangers, for example. You get Wild Empathy, but nearly nothing else, and you have three or four other stats you need so there's almost no reason to take it whatsoever. If I can get two or three Int-based abilities for swashbuckler, then that would be fine, but if it's just one thing then it'd be a problem and a waste.

Another consequence I'm not sure you've considered about removing Insightful Strike, though: I'm not sure you'll still preserve the light weapon tradition of the Swashbuckler. I could actually imagine Swashbucklers, using your version, who ignore their free Weapon Finesse feat, take Power Attack, and go around mauling things with a Greatsword. I mean, it's not as if Power Attack + greatsword + Emerald Razor isn't a good combo.
Insightful Strike didn't remove that though, since you can still Power Attack with a rapier or just ignore Insightful Strike altogether since Power Attack does more damage.

I see three different combat styles for my idea of "swashbuckler"; a sword and dagger (TWF) style, a sword and shield (it's called swashbuckler for a reason), and a one-hand sword style. I think all three of those are supported fairly well, though you're right that Power Attack is still an option. What about going with 3/4 Bab? It would weaken the class a lot but it'd also let me give him two good saves as well as enforce the idea of "mobility fighter" by making full attacks less effective. Power Attack also becomes a lot weaker with less Bab, so you're more dependent on maneuvers. Extra Granted Maneuver might not even be so overpowered then. PrC access would be harder though.

I'm not sure how to fix that, because I agree with you that the Swashbuckler doesn't really need an extra damage source so much anymore when he has Diamond Mind maneuvers. Make Grace bonuses only apply when the Swashbuckler has a free hand? Give a free Einhander bonus feat? (Both of these options kind of poke the TWF-Swashbuckler in the eye.)
I don't really want to remove the possibility of TWF and sword/buckler. If it came down to it, I'd rather allow (but discourage) Power Attacking than disallow these styles.

Yeah, fun idea, but I can't say INT-to-Fort makes any sense.
Same here. *shrug*

- This class is dangerously good for dipping. If that doesn't bother you, fine. But it could stand to have some of its Level 1 features pushed back a couple levels.
I'd rather not push back Grace, if only because of my sense of aesthetics, and kicking back Weapon Finesse just screws over 1st level swashbucklers that dump Str. Meh, most ToB classes are really good dips. Two level swordsage for Quick to Act, Weapon Focus, Wis to AC, two stances, and a lot of maneuvers. Doesn't bother me that much in comparison.

- I'm glad you delayed the 4th stance until 8th-level stances are accessible
Yeah, I just used the warblade's stance progression. Much better.

- I guess I don't share your hatred of dead levels so much, at least not on classes that get things like maneuvers or spells at every level. Some of the class features you've put into these classes feel like they're not important or flavorful enough to be worth the bookkeeping; they're literally just there to fill in dead levels. Ick. The Swashbuckler isn't actually the worst offender here; it's a problem I have with several of your classes. (For a concrete example -- Rather than the Instinctive Cartographer ability, I'd rather just have Lay of the Land be on the Ranger spell list.)
I see what you mean; some of them are overloaded with features. I'll try to cull out some of the useless ones.

On a side note, a lot of the favored enemy abilities are a bit of a stretch (literally, in the case of aberrations). If anyone can help me think up better ones, that'd be great.